Performing Arts Department
Head of Department: Mr Leitheiser
· To enable students to use dramatic forms.
· To raise awareness and appreciation of theatre from different cultures.
· To familiarise students with the body of knowledge, principles and vocabulary related to this art form.
· To raise awareness of the functions of dramatic form.
· To learn and develop understanding of how to control the form through a variety of dramatic conventions.
· To feel confident enough to experiment with the art form.
· To raise awareness of the place of theatre within the context of other art forms.
· cooperation and collaboration
· working independently and with others.
The study skills could be cross-curricular and supportive of other subjects. They would involve:
· research (including the use of ICT)
· evaluation (both orally and in writing)
· structured writing of various kinds
· reflecting critically on the quality of their work and refining it, with the support of teachers and peers.
In years 7 and 8 we start with Serious Fun in drama; where we learn through drama games the need to be still and focused whilst developing our concentration, co-operation, communication skills, consideration for others as well as developing our ability to express ourselves creatively. We look at a variety of themes, issue based drama, scripted work and we research practically the history of the arts.
In year 9 we begin our journey to follow the arts through a vocational pathway; researching a variety of theatre practitioners past and present. Throughout year 9 the students follow a variety of mini-briefs working as if they were part of a professional theatre company.
In years 10 and 11 we continue along the vocational pathway working towards a BTEC Tech level 1/2 award in performing arts. Over the two years the students research a variety of theatrical styles and theatre practitioners as well as developing their own drama skills as performers, directors and members of a creative ensemble.
Throughout their time at #TEAMSPH the students will have the opportunity to enrich their lives with cultural performing arts opportunities within school, within their local communities, regionally and nationally.