I would like to firstly take this opportunity to wish you a Happy New Year and thank you for all your support you have given us in our first term as an Academy.
One of our focuses for this term is attendance. Excellent attendance is vital for a student to reach their full academic, social and emotional potential and we as an Academy have put systems in place to ensure that every pupil can achieve this potential.
We have introduced a reporting absence protocol which is detailed below. This will inform you, as parents, of the steps that need to be taken if your child is ever absent from school:
- We do not consider a cold or cough to be an illness that prevents your child from attending school. They should only be kept home if absolutely necessary.
- Please make medical and dental appointments outside school hours. If this is not possible try to make them in the early morning or late afternoon so that your child does not miss a whole day of school.
- Please contact school as soon as you know your child will be absent. 01457 853611 – there is an answer phone facility. Please give a reason for the absence and, where possible, indicate when your child will be returning.
- A note must be also written in your child’s planner explaining their absence and this must be shown to their form tutor on their return to school- only then will their absence be authorized.
- Please update us daily (if necessary for absences longer than one day).
- For prolonged illness (more than 5 days) we will require medical evidence from your GP before we can authorize the absence.
- If your child is required to attend a pre-arranged medical or dental appointment, please send in the appointment card or letter.
Attendance is linked to attainment. Students who do not attend regularly:
- Reduce their chance of success (missing 17 days in a year in key-stage 4 could result in a student achieving one grade lower at G.C.S.E.)
- Struggle to develop and maintain friendships
- Reduce their opportunities for further education or employment
Below is a table which illustrates how absence from school can impact your child’s education;
|If your attendance (during one school year) is||This is equal to being absent for||Which is being absent for about||So you will miss|
|95%||10 days||2 weeks||50 lessons|
|90%||19 days||4 weeks||100 lessons|
|85%||28 days||6 weeks||150 lessons|
|80%||38 days||8 weeks||200 lessons|
|75%||48 days||10 weeks||250 lessons|
|70%||57 days||11½ weeks||290 lessons|
|65%||67 days||13½ weeks||340 lessons|
We as an Academy want to support you as parents in ensuring that your child has every opportunity to achieve every success by attending school every day.
Thank you for your continued support.
Miss C Dawson
Assistant Head teacher